Why this?

The occasional piece of my own and a generous helping of others' creations I find inspiring. Site is named for a beloved book by one of my favorite writers, Italo Calvino, whose fanciful work lights--and delights--my soul.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Notes (my mother's) from a recent NW poetry conference

Tony Hoagland/Lorna Crozier/Ellen Bass: Poetry and Humor 


"When you become rigid the truth hasn't worked its way though you." --Hoagland 


"Poems are the closest art form to a joke, in terms of brevity and pacing; having a climax (punch) line; and all the words have to be in the right places." --Hoagland


Two ways Hoagland wants to be as a poet: "One is clear. The other is not so fucking serious!" 


"When people laugh, their muscles relax and then they can be penetrated by life." --Someone

No comments:

Post a Comment